Records show that the village of Bardsea has early connections with
Furness Abbey and, in addition, it is noted that there was, at a
very early period, a religious house or hospital under the jurisdiction
of The Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, probably before the foundation
of Conishead Priory.
The ‘Chapel' on Chapel Island had been erected for the sanctuary,
and to pray for, the safety of those who crossed the sands. Nothing
remains of the original building, the present ruin being part of
a more recent structure. Before the erection of the church at Bardsea,
services were held in the school room at Bardsea Green. A foundation
stone for the church was laid on October 20th, 1843 and the cost
of building quoted at £2,000. The site was given by Col. Braddyll
was not conveyed before the building commenced; in the meantime
the fortunes of its benefactor took an unfortunate turn and it was
some years later, after a stirring effort on the part of Mr. Thomas
Petty of Well House, the church was purchased partially by public
subscription and the generosity of the said Mr. Petty. A list of
subscribers shows that many came from far afield.
“A History Of Lancashire”
shows that Trinity Church Bardsea had a separate district assigned
to it in 1854, some eleven years after its' erection.
succession of events appears (from documentation) to have been as
Building commenced 1843.
Opened by License on Sunday August 13th 1848.
Churchyard consecrated as a burial ground by Bishop of Chester 1849.
Church consecrated September 5th, 1853.
Separate district assigned 1854.
Documents show that the
church was originally in the Diocese of Chester and was enrolled
in the Bishop of Carlisle's Register of Deeds on July 21st, 1910.